Microchips and the European Pet Passport Law

Are you planning a trip abroad? If you are planning to travel abroad and want to take your pet with you, many countries require you to obtain an international health certificate for your pet. Some jurisdictions also require the pet to be microchipped.

Due to the significant installed base of ID-100 Animal Implantable-type transponders around the world, European Union Regulation No. 998/2003 (the “European Pet Passport law”) has specifically included the Trovan UNIQUE protocol as one of the accepted microchip types.

Article 4 of the law states:
“where the transponder does not comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO Standard 11785, the owner or the natural person responsible for the pet animal on behalf of the owner must provide the means necessary for reading the transponder at the time of any inspection.”

In other words, if you do not have an approved chip (ISO 11784 or ISO 11785 Annex A aka Trovan ID-100) you must bring your own reader.

A regulation is a legislative act of the European Union which becomes immediately enforceable as law in all member states simultaneously. Regulations can be distinguished from directives which, at least in principle, need to be transposed into national law. When a regulation comes into force it overrides all national laws dealing with the same subject matter and subsequent national legislation must be consistent to and made in the light of the regulation.

Current European Union member states are:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

The full text of Regulation No. 998/2003 is here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2003:146:0001:0009:EN:PDF
Click here for the text of ISO 11785 Annex A.